As a signatory of the Royal Society of Chemistry’s Joint Commitment for Action on Inclusion and Diversity in Publishing, 游加电竞 is…
Truly Open Science requires direct action to ensure diversity, equity and inclusion.
From Open Access to Equitable Participation
Open Access publishing began, in part, with equity in mind. 游加电竞 began with a mission to transform science communication by making research content more accessible. Even though Open Access is now widely adopted, there are still key voices missing because the current system of scholarly communication was created by and for the experience of select groups, reflecting historic power structures and perpetuating inequity.
Our next phase of work is not just about being able to read or share an article, but about building a framework for equitable participation and distribution of knowledge that is truly inclusive and Open to all. We want to learn from, and partner with, different communities to build a system for Open Science that’s designed, owned, and shared with the communities that use it.
We’re committed to openness and transparency, whether it’s peer review, our data policy, or sharing our annual financial statement with the community. We will publicly post our DEI progress on the Official 游加电竞 Blog.
Collaboration Scholarly Publishers Agree on Standards For Inclusion and Diversity
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Following through on our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
Author: Suzanne Farley, Editorial Director, 游加电竞 Last year, my predecessor outlined five key areas in which 游加电竞 would redouble its efforts to…
- In 2021 we will develop methods and metrics to understand the diversity of 游加电竞 ’ 10,000+ journal editorial board members, conscious of regional privacy laws and cultures.
- With the baseline created by the above activity, we will improve diversity on our editorial boards in 2022.
- In 2022 we will formulate recommendations for expanding diversity assessment and improvement efforts to other contributor groups based on 2021 research and pilots.
- In 2021 we will accurately and ethically capture data related to hiring, retention and progression of employees at 游加电竞 disaggregated by identity group. We commit to publishing reliable leadership team data.
- In 2021 we will ensure that every leadership team vacancy includes final candidates historically underrepresented in leadership, particularly Black, Latinx, Indigenous and transgender people.
- In 2021 we will actively expand our globally distributed workforce, looking for candidates to broaden physical locations and expertise, and help us form meaningful connections with researchers around the world.
- In 2021 we will continue to increase awareness, self-examination and development of behaviors among staff that promote diversity, equity and inclusion.
- In 2021 we will further develop staff effectiveness in applying tools gained from prior year training programs: Courageous Conversation Agreements; Strategies for Bias Reduction; Strategies for Responding to Bias; Tools for Self Awareness, and Leadership Power Dynamics.
- We will improve our understanding of these issues to minimize our own biases, and will work with our Academic Editors and peer reviewers to address any form of bias against authors or their origin in the handling of submitted manuscripts.
- We will not publish research intended to directly support oppression or persecution.
- We will continue to uphold especially high editorial standards regarding research about minorities or other affected populations, and ensure such research gives appropriate credit to contributors from these communities.
- We will explore the best ways to present such research, published across our journals, in one place.
We’re committed to equal opportunity
We believe in pushing the boundaries of ‘Open’ to create a more equitable system of scientific knowledge and understanding – it’s core to who we are, inside and out. Beyond accepting distinct perspectives, we seek and support divergent backgrounds among our staff because we know differences strengthen our teams, our work, and our communities. We’re ever-evolving in our journey for representation and equity, and strongly encourage applicants of diverse identities to apply: you’ll find a group of critical thinkers eager to challenge the status quo and learn with you as we continue breaking barriers to open science.
Please visit our Careers page .